Orval C. Finkbeiner
The Sandusky District Library wishes to honor the memory of Orval C. Finkbeiner, and recognize the vital he played in the development of the city of Sandusky, as we know it today. The new library facility is located on property once occupied by Booth Motor Sales, and made available to the library in Mr. Finkbeiner's memory.
Orval C. Finkbeiner was born in Sandusky on March 30, 1910, and was a resident of Sandusky during his entire life. He married Thelma Booth on February 10, 1941, and was the proud father of Orval Douglas and Diane. He owned and operated the Booth Motor Sales in Sandusky.
Mr. Finkbeiner was a charter member of the Sandusky Lions club, which started in 1937, and was also it's first president. He was a member of Sanilac Lodge No. 511 100F; Custer Lodge No. 393, F & AM; Sanilac Chapter No. 145 Royal Arch Masons and was a member and past commander of Lexington Commandery No. 27 Knights Templar.
Mr. Finkbeiner was elected to the Sandusky City Council in 1939, where he served six years as a councilman. He was elected to Mayor in 1945, and served the City of Sandusky in that capacity for another 23 years. During his tenure in office, Mr. Finkbeiner was instrumental in seeing a number of changes take place in Sandusky. The city built a new City Municipal Building, a new Sewage Disposal Plant, established two new wells, paved all of the city's streets, established a city airport, built two new parking lots, and built a new city garage and warehouse.
His daughter expresses her father's dedication to the community in these words: